OpenStack Specialist (DevOps)
veröffentlicht am: 03.02.2017
Institut, Seminar, Klinik / Institute, Department, Clinic
Service and Support for Science IT (S3IT)
Abteilungsbeschreibung / Description of UZH unit
The S3IT unit is part of the Information Technology department at the University of Zurich, with the goal of supporting research use of IT across the university. This includes providing access to research IT infrastructure, consulting, data management, as well as software development.
In particular, we build and operate a large scale cloud infrastructure to support research for the entire university. Our technology stack currently includes OpenStack, Ceph, Elasticsearch/Logstash/Kibana (ELK), Check_MK, CFEngine 3, Percona XtraDB, Pacemaker/Corosync, all of it running on Ubuntu. Many of our services are automated using Python.
Aufgabenbereich / Responsibilities
We're looking for a full-time cloud systems expert with significant experience in configuring, managing, and monitoring OpenStack-based cloud infrastructures to join our team.
Your tasks would include the day-to-day operations and supervision of the OpenStack and Ceph cluster, but you will also be a driving force in extending and improving our services, e.g.:
• test and implement new OpenStack infrastructure components
• systematically improve systems’ efficiency and stability
• engineer high-availability solutions for virtualized services
• tune our ELK stack to provide real time information on the system
• improve the accounting system (currently based on ceilometer) and the reporting system
• automate processes
• architect, evaluate, and implement large-scale storage solutions
You should enjoy working in a fast-paced scientific environment. You actively look for new challenges and you can solve them independently even under pressure. You are a good communicator and have the necessary organizational skills to work in a dynamic team that bridges R&D and reliable operation of crucial services.
Beschäftigungsgrad / Workload in %
Anforderungen / Qualifications
You are expected to have proven working experience in all of the following:
• OpenStack (Nova, Glance, Cinder, Swift, Neutron, Keystone)
• CFEngine configuration management systems
• systems administration of large Linux infrastructures (Ubuntu)
• datacenter networking experience (e.g., virtualized networks, vlan/vxlan, redundant network components)
Experience with any of the following will be considered a major advantage:
• large-scale systems monitoring and alerting (esp. Nagios/Check_MK, Ganglia/Grafana)
• the ELK stack: Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana
• experience with Dell/Force10 or Cisco switches
• Python programming
Good command of written and spoken English is a must. Knowledge of German is considered an advantage but is not essential for the job.
Wir bieten / We offer
We offer a dynamic work environment with friendly colleagues on the beautiful Irchel campus in direct contact with both the UZH data center and many of the University research groups. You will have the chance to be an integral part of a growing research IT unit. In addition to perks (e.g. access to University’s city-wide sports facilities and lunch checks) you will be compensated according to the high living standards of Zurich.
Stellenantritt / This position opens on
Employment will start as soon as possible.
Bewerbungen / Application
Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbung mit den üblichen Unterlagen an oben genannte E-Mail-Adresse.