Web Application Architect and Back-end Developer
veröffentlicht am: 23.01.2018
Institut, Seminar, Klinik / Institute, Department, Clinic
Competence Center Citizen Science (CC-CS) Service and Support for Science IT (S3IT)
Abteilungsbeschreibung / Description of UZH unit
The CC-CS was jointly established by the University of Zurich and the ETH Zurich. To support the numerous existing as well as the next generation of Citizen Science projects at these two institutions, the Competence Center develops and operates a Citizen Science platform. This platform is developed in close cooperation with S3IT, a unit specialized in developing and operating research IT infrastructures.
Aufgabenbereich / Responsibilities
We are seeking an experienced and talented web application architect and programmer with proven technical abilities and accomplishments, an interest in open source technologies, a strong passion for science, and the willingness to “go the extra mile” to ensure the highest quality of experience for our users. The primary role of the web application architect and back-end developer will be to architect the overall platform, develop its back-end components, and ensure a reliable operations of the system. The platform's purpose is to enable rapid prototyping and execution of Citizen Science projects while maintaining the highest standards of data security and building an increasing community of citizen scientists in Zurich. In addition, this position also includes direct collaborations with scientists in the development of individual projects.
Beschäftigungsgrad / Workload in %
80-100% (till end of 2020, with possible extension)
Anforderungen / Qualifications
- Higher education in computer science or related field
- Experience in designing and implementing scalable, secure web applications
- Databases and related technologies are your passion
- Knowledge of agile development methods and experience using open-source technologies, continuous integration and deployment
- Proactive, structured and flexible way of working
- High organizational and problem-solving capabilities
- Very good written and oral communication skills
- Completing various work assignments and collaborating with others as required
- Able to work independently or as part of a team
- Strong interest in working in an academic environment
- Experience in science communication and citizen science will be considered a strong advantage
Sprachkenntnisse / Language requirements
An excellent command of written and spoken English is mandatory, German language fluency will be considered a strong advantage.
Wir bieten / We offer
We offer a dynamic work environment with friendly colleagues in direct contact with many IT experts and interdisciplinary research groups. You will have an exciting opportunity to lead on all aspects of the platform architecture and development, and be an integral part of a growing competence center, jointly established by the University of Zurich and ETH Zurich. In addition to perks (e.g. access to University's city-wide sports facilities and lunch checks) you will be compensated according to the high living standards of Zurich.
Stellenantritt / This position opens on
Now or upon agreement.
Auskunft erteilt / More information
Prof. Dr. Kevin Schawinski (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Prof. Dr. Mike Martin (email@example.com)
Bewerbungen / Application
Please send your application electronically as one PDF-File including your motivation letter, CV, diplomas and references to firstname.lastname@example.org.